Each of you will be responsible for reading and editing five essays with regard to only one of the following categories. You will have 4 minutes to read each piece.
- Document: 1.25″ margins, different first page
- First page: Name, E110, Assignment, Date, sans serif, 1.0 spacing
- Title: Bold, centered, sans serif
- Paratext: Subheads, running head, sans serif
- ¶s: 0.25 or 0.5 indent, 1.5 spacing, 6 points between ¶s, serif
- BLQs: Indented left and right, 1.0 spacing
- Author identified
- Page identified
- Cross-listed in references
- BLQ for quotations more than one sentence
- Author, date, title, place
- Alphabetical by author
- Hanging indent, 1.0 spacing, 6 points between items
- Read the first page (or so). Mark where the author defines their project in writing their essay. Offer any advice you may have about phrasing or placement.
- Read the last page (or so). Mark where the author states the take-way of the piece. Offer any advice you may have about phrasing or placement.
Sign your name and the category of your work to each piece you edit. Scan your essay once it has been returned to you. If you have any questions, ask your editors about them.
Read through your essay. Highlight (a) the names of other writers, artists, or works you discuss; (b) words or phrases you take from someone else; and (c) important words or phrases that you bring to the discussion. Then draw on these words to create the following types of titles:
- In pairs: Here are two acknowledgments written by UD students. Using these two texts as examples of the genre, identify (a) what both writers do [constraints], and (b) what each does differently [options].
- Fastwrite: Draft a version of the acknowledgments for your essay. The final version of your acknowledgments should appear after your main text and before your list of references.
- Wed, 11/16:I need to cancel my regular office hours tomorrow morning. If you would like to talk with me, please seem me to set up an appointment for later today or Thursday.
- Wed, 11/16, 4:00 pm: Email the final version of your second essay to your GTA and me. This essay should be at least 2000 words long, and include a list of references and a note of acknowledgments. Title your document “lastname e2 final”. Good luck!
- Thurs, 11/17: Please bring a laptop with you to class.